Remove this ad

Lead

May 2 13 10:49 AM

Tags : :

Last year after 25 years of successfully planting impatiens, my favorite flower shriveled up by August to snakelike clumps. I understand there is a downy mildew blight on the impatiens. Any suggestions for a shade loving replacement? Thanks for any help. There is a wedding in the family so something that would last until the first week of October would be great!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 5 13 12:16 PM

I saw the news item in our newspaper about the mildew blight that has hit impatients. we just finished getting and planting 8 containers (6 in each one) 48 beautiful impatients, plus we are digging up baby plants that started from seed thrown last year.
Just hope that the blight does not get ours. they said that they would probably all be completely wiped out and that  the growers would not try to breed resistant ones either because it was too expensive, that is really sad, as they are really so beautiful and can grow in shady places.

You can try Riger Begonias, they will grow in the shade and are pretty too.
Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 6 13 11:08 AM

OH OH !  I just went out and looked at our impatients, and 5 or 6 pots have flowers that are starting to get white blotches on them, I don't know if it is where the sun hit them or if they are affected with the blight.  Will have to keep an eye on them. 
                    Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 24 13 9:21 AM

If you plant impatiens in the same spot every year, why not replace them with a perennial groundcover that likes shade?  Lamium, Beaconsilver variety, is lovely (do NOT get the yellow-flowered non-beaconsilver varieties - they are invasive).  They transplant easily - and you can separate a clump and plant it up elsewhere any time, and it will soon start blooming and spreading.

The silvery splashes on the leaves brightens the dark corners, and the plant is also good under other flowering or foliage shrubs. They are semi-evergreen into at least zone 6 and hardy to zone 4-5.

They flower freely all summer until frost, and are among the first to bloom in spring.  The plants are only about 6 inches high, but the flower spurs to reach up to 12".

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 25 13 12:56 PM

All my impatients are fine now.  guess it was the the hot sun we had for a few days.  We have 26 different pots of impatients and we also have petunia's,  pansy's, riger begonia's, and impatients in a planter in front and also along our driveway, so pretty.
  My fuschia's are all in bloom now. I love them, and our sweet pea flowers are blooming too but, they do not have the old fashioned sweet smell anymore. guess they are bred to be pretty but with no smell.
  My veetable garden is doing pretty good, have several little cucumbers, starting to get a few tiny zucchini squash, tomatoes are getting lots of blossoms, and cantalope is starting to get blossoms. have to plant my green  beans and corn later this week.
My peach tree, orange tree, pear, apple and lemon are LOADED.  but, of course we also have squirrels. LOL!

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help