Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Mar 30 13 12:33 PM

well that didn't work. I got a picture of the two tiny little babies, and have been trying like crazy to send them here but it is not working.
Well anyways there are cute.! imagine two tiny little birds lying side by side, in a nest the size of a quarter.  they were both hatched out yesterday and were so tiny, and today they are about twice the size. wow!   I can look out the window and see momma feeding them now, she is sittiing on the side of the nest, then she pokes her head up and down over the nest, so I guess there are little mouths being fed, but they are still too tiny to show over the top of the nest for me to see them.
             Nicki

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Mar 30 13 1:19 PM

Hi Auntie:
 I can not get the picture to show up[ here
I click on and get a picture of my desktop, then click on the item that says "baby hummers" and there  is NO place that says "save" it says "open" when I open it there is no place to send it to.except my folders or documents etc. it is either in a zipped file, or an internet file which I can not get to go into just a plain old picture. lol.   Nicki

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Mar 30 13 1:23 PM

OH  that surprised me, there it is, I don't know HOW I got it to come on, but anyways there are the little ones.  Hopefully, when they are a little bigger I can get another picture sent.
    Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Mar 31 13 12:58 PM

thank you, and you know what? today they are even biggger, the first day they hatched, they were lying side by side and there was room obove their heads and below their other end  in the nest, then the 2nd day when I took the picture, they were touching the sides of the nest. now today I looked and their heads are bent up the side of the nest. wow! growing fast!! 
  On Google, It says that they will be grown and fly away by the time the are 3 weeks old. and the way they are growing I believe it..    Lol
                   Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Apr 2 13 11:20 AM

I looked at them yesterday and they raised there heads up and opened their mouths, it was so cute, I quickly went back inside and watched as the mother landed and fed her little ones. then sat on the nest again. she leaves about every 20-25 minutes and comes back to feed them.
Well today I got up and looked and she was not on the nest, I ate breakfast and looked again and she was not on the nest, I took my medicines then looked and she was not on the nest and I thought, ":Oh,Oh' I went out  and looked into the nest and it was empty!  something had gotten the babies. I almost cried. We have blue jays and also ravens around here and I have seen the ravens flying up to a telephone wire and they have what looks like a baby bird in the mouth. One time I saw them fly off with a baby dove.   Darn!!!
                       Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Apr 28 13 2:13 PM

I have been out in my lath-house adding new plants such as fuschia, and impatients to hanging baskets, and while out there, 2 humming birds kept buzzing me, getting right in my face, lol!
I started looking and  found 4 humming birds nests (old ones) in the camilla bush, and another one on a Hawaiian tree fern frond.  still have not found any more with eggs, but I'm still hoping.
        Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

May 1 13 7:22 PM

How lovely!  Keep watching and hunting - and if you find them try to snap some photos!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

May 13 13 11:00 AM

Guess what I found?  Another humming bird nest,  Saturday it had one egg in it, and today it has 2 eggs, so hope that this time the momma can raise her babies. and I will be able to watch.  there are also humming birds in another part of my lathe house going in and out, and when I water they fly into the mist and really seem to enjoy themselves. fun to watch.
       Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

May 14 13 12:24 PM

the momma hummer is sitting on her nest, and flying to the red fuschia plants hanging nearby too. I also hung a humming bird feeder nearer to her in the lath house. so that is two feeder.
 Yesterday a mocking bird flew into the lath-house. and hopped over towards the nest, and sat there for awhile which worried me, it flew away when I came near, but, mocking birds have NEVER flown into the lath-house so now I am wondering if it was a mocking bird that got the other nest with baby hummers in it.      Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

May 15 13 11:25 AM

She is still sitting on here nest, so that is a good sign. I have automatic sprinkling system in my lathe house, but turned it off as the water would soak her and her nest. so now go out and use the garden hose to water the plants.trying to keep the water away from her.although sometimes she comes out and flies through the mist. then goes back to her nest.
                           Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jun 25 13 12:47 PM

when the eggs were 4 days old, I went out and as I stepped into the lath house to look into the nest, I saw the momma hummer on the ground, dead!  and the nest was empty, so something got the eggs.  I am so upset, don't know what it is, but we have a lot of ravens lately.
  there are 3 humming birds flying around the orange tree and also in the lathhouse, they fly into the lath house to drink from the fuschia's and also fly to the impatients,  and  they are at the humming bird feeders too.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jul 11 13 2:06 PM

Oh, how true it is that nature is red in tooth and claw!  I wonder if there are predator-proof nesting boxes/ birdhouses for hummers?  Might be worth checking into since you seem to be a mecca for hummers!

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:01 PM

I wish there was a predator proof nesting boxes, but have not heard of any. Still seeing lots of hummers. and I now have another mystery.  I fill the hummingbird feeders half full, then the next morning they are empty. and some of the liquid is spilled on the ground underneath the feeders. it is hanging in the middle of our  outdoor patio, so nothing can climb up to get to them.  I have read that bats will empty hummingbir feeders, but, I don't think we have bats here.  We do have them at our vacation home in the Sierra mountains, but not here in the city.   Yesterday I filled the feeders and now they are both empty, I see one or two hummers feeding but they don't take that much.
                                     Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jul 13 13 11:28 AM

It could be starlings, orioles, or other larger birds grabbing an early morning snack.  But, don't put it past those "stunt squirrels" and raccoons too, to be able to get up there some how!  Or tip it some how if it's on a pole.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help