Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 7 12 7:42 AM

Tags : :

saw this---  http://www.17apart.com/2012/02/growing-celery-indoors-never-buy-celery.html

wondering if any one tried this-?--it's a great idea.
sparky2 in southern va.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 26 12 4:29 PM

I store my celery upright in a tall container, keeping a bit of water in the bottom.  This keeps it firm and keeps it from curling oddly, and it lasts for weeks. 

I have noticed that sometimes the celery sends out roots from around the edge of the base where it was cut off at harvesting.  Maybe next time, I'll keep the base and try this out!

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 28 13 12:48 PM

I planted pink plume celery seeds about 5 years ago, the plants grew, the only thing was, the celery stalks were very thin, but had a good flavor, and the leaves were good to put into homemade soup.
that year one of the plants went to seed (bolted) and the following year I had 6 little plants coming up and I did not know what they were until i crushed the leaves and they smelled like celery. now every year new celery plants come up.   Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 29 13 5:04 PM

Hey - that's great - nothing like free food!  I tried celery, but it came out kind of bitter and also with those very small stems.  I did try  tying cloth around the stems as they grew, which gives you the more tender stalks that don't get bitter, but it didn't work for me...

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:06 PM

My 2 celery plants in the yard are going to seed now so will get  a few more plants, I also cut of the bottom of a celery that I bought at the store last week and put it into a shallow dish of water, and today it has several stalks about 2-3 inches tall starting,
  I had put it on a bakers rack on my patio and forgot about it,  then today I saw something green, walked over and looked and it was the celery stalk bottom that I had planted.  how funny.
                         Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 16 13 3:16 PM

yesterday I picked 5 huge peaches off my tree and made a peach cobbler. so good,
I am also getting some cucumbers, and zucchini squash, and lots of  heirlooom tomatoes, plus a zillion cherry tomatoes, they are all green but will soon be getting ripe. can't hardly wait, I am so sick of those cardboard tasting tomatoes from the grocery store. 
    Nicki

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Aug 8 13 2:01 PM

Picked a cucumber and 6 red cherry tomatoes, and 3 yellow pear tomatoes added some diced onion and a vinegarette dressing and it was ssssooooooo good !
 then yesterday I picked a medium sized zucchini and lots of tomatoes, both cherry and a couple of heirloom Brandywine tomatoes and cooked them together, then put it over some rice,  Yum!
                                      Nicki

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Aug 24 13 12:45 PM

picking lots of Brandywines tomatoes and lots of yellow pear and lots of sweet million red cherry tomatoes. also a couple of "bunch tomatoes" are almost ready to pick,those are the kind you buy at the store in bunches of 4 or 5 tomatoes still on the vine.  This is my first year growing them, I really don't care for the ones at the store but these will be vine ripened so they should taste better.
        Nicki 

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Sep 9 13 11:43 AM

Wow do I ever covet your tomatoes!

If you like brandywines, then try Amish Paste - leave it to the Amish to come up with a 'mater that's excellent for eating fresh as well as for sauce - meaty, few seeds, good strong tomato taste, doesn't crack and peels easily!  It's in the oxheart family, but usually grown more rounded - a bit higher than wide.

I grew mine from seed saved annualy from the original $3 packet I got from Tomato Growers Supply in FLA for 22 years - until I had to downsize and cease gardening because of health issues.

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/Oxhearts/products/5/ - there's a link!

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Sep 14 13 1:08 PM

I have Amish Paste, also German Johnson,Yellow Pear, Red Pear,Yellow Brandywine, Red Branywine,Goliath,Caspian Pink, (the only one to ever beat Brandywine in a taste test) Mortgage Lifter,Arkansas Traveler, Stupice,Kellogs Breakfast, among the dozens of Heritage Tomatoes that I have and grow.
   This year we had health problems too, so only planted  Red Brandywine, Stupice,Goliath, and yellow pear, and sweet million. tomatoes, also planted one zucchini, 2 cucumbers, lettuce, and a cantalope.    did not do a very bigh garaden this year. did not plant any green beans or corn. or watermelon,   Usually plant later some broccoli, and about 6 Gonzales Cabbages,  they are only the size of a large softball. makes enough for a large cole slaw, or fried cabbage.but, this year did not do that either.  hopefully  next year.  
                           Nicki

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help